Position: Band Manager
Kwakiutl Indian Band, a progressive and transformative Nation, located on the beautiful North end of Vancouver Island (Port Hardy), is seeking an individual to fulfill the duties of Band Manager. Under the direction of Chief and Council, the Band Manager is responsible for the senior administration; financial management practices; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; an ability to supervise and direct staff; and a knowledge and appreciation of Kwakiutl History, Culture, Traditions, and Douglas Treaty. There is also high expectation that the successful candidate will work with creativity and dexterity in the articulation, development, implementation, and sustainability of quality Kwakiutl government programs and services.
It is paramount that all positions within Kwakiutl Indian Band strive to communicate and serve the Kwakiutl people in a manner that respects, enhances and promotes the cultural identity and well-being of the individual and community. This position will strive for cultural well-being by:
- Gaining cultural awareness and understanding of the Kwakiutl people, lands and waters
- Understanding and complying with any Kwakiutl Policies or position statements on culturalsafety or well-being and ensuring it is reflected in individual training/professional developmentplans
- Safeguarding Kwakiutl Aboriginal Title and Rights, and Kwakiutl Douglas Treaty Rights
- Ensuring that plans, policies and activities undertaken promote the holistic well-being of theKwakiutl in a way that incorporates and promotes Kwakiutl culture and traditions
- Overall, assisting in the articulation and establishment of cultural influence expectations inprograms planning and day to day operations
The detailed job description is available upon request. Candidates must have a requisite education and experience relating to Public Administration, Band Administration, Management, or a related discipline. Preference may be given to qualified applicants who are of Aboriginal ancestry, and to applicants with three or more years of progressive Band Management experience. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants must apply with a cover letter (including salary expectation) and resume, no later than 4pm on November 14, 2018 via email to:
, or fax 250-949-6066.